Home THE PLACES AND HISTORY THE TOWERS AROUND SCOPELLO
91014 Scopello - Castellammare del Golfo
The Florentine engineer Camillo Camilliani, conducted for charge of the Deputation of the Kingdom a recognition to verify the state of the towers and their defensive condition in the years 1583/1584, to already strengthen those existing, and to create of it new.
To the same purpose, another inspection was conducted in 1751 for charge of the viceroy duke of Laviefuille, from Joseph Salomone, noble officer of the Senate in Palermo.
In 1804 the Deputation of the kingdom, on application of the Prince of Cutò (what it held up the island with the position of lieutenant and general captain) following the numerous raids of the pirates, weapon the towers of ammunition and pieces of artillery.
The serventis (custodians) they were generally in three, armed with guns and spingarde:
the artillery was of modest caliber (the tower of Island of the Females was provided
of guns of superior caliber to the six ounces).
There were no colubrine and not even petriere.
The towers of Guidaloca and the Impisu had the obligation to turn on the "Fani" (fires).
Giazzolino (Impisu): "tower That surge among the cove she dictates of the Guzzo of so that she has the name… touch however her twice from the lightnings, she has gone to air to have turned on him in it the dust…
Of Guidaloca: "tower that rise herself on the beach dictates of Guidaloca, that is behind the two coves of the gulf of Castell'a sea... The river of Guidaloca, that puts his mouth in shown him seas, lends the said appellation to the tower..." (coastal of the Mountain of S. Giuliano).
Of the Guzzo: "tower with great cave a great deal that soprasta in the cove dictates the Guzzo, S. Giuliano) of so that she has the name, (coastal of the City of the Mountain of S. Giuliano).
In this tower keep herself a staircase of 60 degrees of rope that was worth to save the torrieris and the people on the occasion of invasion of pirates..." (this is the tower that the Camilliani saw "incomplete" during his inspection of the coasts of Sicily, he was built from such Ottavio Gioacchino "to adapt you a tonnara that today he is skipped)...”
Of Scopello: "done tower to rise on the back of an eminent rock-cliff, that longly sticks out in sea, near the called point the Fungia in the gulf of Castell'a sea. In the site note where today she places the ancient city of so said Cetaria it bloomed you from the "piscaggione de'tonni" (period of fishing of the tunas) that "ivi facevasi" (they did him), what then meeting place in the hamlet was granted from Fred emperor to the Monastic Church of the Martorana in Palermo. The city of the Mountain in Trapani had subsequently the dominion of called hamlet, and then ours "Collegiate" of S. Pietro of Building, and then with the destroyed time made him.
It also holds her the name of tower Doria, perhaps imposed her by the it was President of the Kingdom Anthony Doria marquis of S. Stefano, that it bloomed in 1565, under the of which government built credesi..." but, in truth, the tower already existed to the epoch of the Doria; T. Fazello, History of Sicily, The, p.90: "Cetaria... Today Sculpello is reduced de ships and there is a tower...
The construction of the towers: Bennistra sita above the ancient suburb of Scopello and the Uzzo (today in downfall rises in the cove of the Uzzo, inside the reserve of the Gypsy), together with the tower of Guidaloca it posts on a high ground of the bay that brings the same name, it is antecedent to the trip of the Camilliani in the year 1583.